The Wedding Photo – process revisited

“The Wedding Photo,” my last post generated a lot of interest and a few questions. In response, I’ve decided to post 4 images that represent  the process I used to arrive at the final image.

Every image is different. My “Old Victoria” is a completely different image from “The Wedding Photo”.  The subject matter obviously differs but so to does the lighting, color and texture. What worked for “Old Victoria” would not work for “The Wedding Photo”.

Experimentation was really important. Finding the right combination of actions with Elements and my plugins to realize the vision I had for the image was a laborious process.

Perhaps most important is keeping a record of each step taken to get to the final image.

 

Original Image

Original Image

 

The initial image had a number of issues. Signage in the background, blown out areas and the couple were centrally located in the frame.

 

 

 

 

Cropped with levels adjustment

Cropped with levels adjustment

 

The Base Image cropped,  resulted in a much more pleasant composition.

Signage and other minor distractions were cloned out.

The tonal range within the image was balance as much as possible with a levels adjustment and with local adjustment to facial areas that were either blown out or slightly shadowed.

 

 

 

 

The paint ready image after being worked on with Elements 11 and Plugins

The paint ready image after being worked on with Elements 11 and Plugin

 

The Paint Ready Image has a surreal look to it.  Processing with Nik’s Vivesa and Color Efex Pro 4 along with Topaz Simplify resulted in vivid colors and a highly increased structure level. This allowed the painting program to do its work.

 

 

 

 

 

A Story within a story

A Story within a story

 

The Final Painted Image with  its clearly defined brush strokes has the appearance of an oil painting.

This entry was posted in My Work.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*